Safe Play Guidelines for Members
In order to reopen the Welland Tennis Club, we have worked with the City of Welland and have consulted with Tennis Canada Safe Play Guidelines to establish our reopening policies and procedures.
All members of the Welland Tennis Club are expected to adhere to all of these guidelines for their own safety and the safety of all of our other members.
- Anyone found to be violating the safe play guidelines will receive one formal warning.
- Any additional violations of the Safe Play Guidelines will result in that member having their membership suspended for the remainder of the season, without refund.
Deciding if you should play
Members must ask themselves these three questions:
- Have you traveled anywhere in the last 14 days for business or personal reasons?
- Have you had contact with a COVID-19 patient?
- Are you exhibiting any COVID-19 symptoms (e.g. fever, cough, difficulty breathing) or feel you are at risk? You may conduct a self-assessment at https://covid-19.ontario.ca/self-assessment/ if you are uncertain of your risk level.
IMPORTANT: If you say yes to any of these questions, please do not visit the club. If you exhibit any symptoms of COVID-19, you will be asked to leave the Club and seek a medical opinion on your symptoms. You will be expected to provide medical documentation asserting you are not at risk of COVID in order to return to the Club to play.
We must also consider guidance from Tennis Canada: Do not play if you are considered vulnerable or at risk (elderly individuals, immuno-suppressed persons, individuals suffering from serious health problems, notably high blood pressure, pulmonary diseases, diabetes, obesity and asthma).
Preparing to play
- Members must now call the Club to book a court at (905) 788-1066 ahead of time to ensure that there is an available court and we minimize the number of people who are in the club at one time. Court time will not be available during singles leagues. Booking times will be in one-hour blocks starting at the top of the hour (e.g. 11:00 – 12:00).
- Note: We will also be recording names and times of play each day for tracking purposes in the event one of our members becomes positive for COVID-19 we will be able to quickly get in contact with those who may have been at the club one the same day, at the same time. This is a precautionary measure, as maintaining social distance of 2 metres at all times should prevent any risk of transmission.
- If you book a one-hour time slot and nobody is booked after you, you may continue to play.
- Wash your hands with disinfectant soap and water for at least 20 seconds before going to the club
- Bring hand sanitizer with you to the club for use during and after play.
- Clean your equipment, including your racquets and water bottles.
- Make sure you have enough water before leaving the house.
- Consider wearing gloves while playing.
- If you cough or sneeze, do so in a tissue or in your sleeve.
- As much as possible, avoid touching door handles, gates, benches and all other objects where the virus can survive and make sure to wash your hands and disinfect the surface you have touched.
- Always Maintain 2 metres distance from everyone, on and off courts. We need to minimize the chance of coming into contact with other members.
- Avoid all physical contact, for example, shaking hands/high fiving, with other players.
- Avoid switching ends during play. Stay on one side of the court for the entirety of your session.
- You must bring your own can of balls and:
- Identify them so that you will handle only balls that belong to you;
- Six balls will be in play during the game
- When one of your opponent’s balls is on your side of the court, return it by using your racquet or foot.
- When a stray ball comes onto your court, return it only by using your racquet or
- Avoid sharing food, drinks, and towels.
- On court chairs may be used by players during their time on court. These will be sanitized in between playing times.
- Outside tables and chairs will not be set up at this point in time.
- Use the hand sanitizer you brought with you to wash disinfect your hands prior to leaving the court.
- Please continue to sweep clay court surface and lines with the on-court equipment. These will be sanitized regularly by WTC staff.
- Please do not lounge in the Clubhouse or near the playing surfaces. We encourage members to play and during this first phase, it’s highly recommended to leave the facility immediately after your time is finished.